Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Our new house...

In an effort to document the making of our new house into our new home, I've decided to start a little blog. Hopefully I keep up with it better than our family blog!

The house is a great house in move-in condition. It  has LOTS of space! Four large bedrooms, a spacious living room, a TV room, a bonus room and a HUGE unfinished basement. It has great woodwork around the windows in the dining room and TV room. BUT that's where the character stops. The walls are "builder beige" and must be repainted ASAP! 

Aaron and I sat down a few days ago and made a list of all the things we'd like to do. It's a bit overwhelming but I feel a little less scattered now that I have a list to work from. Here's what we came up with. I'm sure we'll be adding to it!

PRIORITY (as soon as possible and before we run out of steam!)
Fill in TV nook in LR
Paint LR/DR/Kitchen/TV Room/ Foyer/Hallway
Prime and paint Maddie’s room
Tile above shower and bathtub in Master Bath
Transform pantry into computer nook
Move light fixture in dining room to breakfast room
Fill in arched cut-outs in TV room
Make “built-in” entertainment center in TV room
New fan/light fixture in LR (fan from current master bedroom)
Tile above shower in hall bathroom
Strip brown paint off beadboard in hall bathroom/Paint beadboard white
Paint walls above beadboard in hall bathroom
Repaint laundry closet and add more shelving
Add board and batten to boys’ room/Paint walls above
Repaint Maddie’s bedroom furniture (white)
Repaint dining room furniture (black)
Recover kitchen chairs
Repaint Belk table (black)
Make a large covered ottoman out of small end table
Make slip covers for plaid couch & loveseat and red Goodwill chair
Make benches for kitchen table

NEAR FUTURE (next 6-12 months)
Find and install new kitchen lights (main light and light over sink)
Install new pantry
New light fixture in dining room
New light fixture in foyer
New light fixture in TV room
Paint master bedroom
Paint master bathroom and master closet
Put backsplash in kitchen

WISH LIST (whenever we can afford it!)
Stairs to backyard from porch
Sod yard
Pressure wash & treat deck
Tile kitchen floor
Tile bathrooms
Install additional kitchen cabinets and new counter tops
New TV for new entertainment center
Paint toy room
Buy king-size bed
New carpet

10 comments:

  1. I'm excited to watch your blog! I need to keep up with mine better. That's quite the list, sounds like a busy summer for you all. Thanks so much for telling me about your blog, since I've been noticing little clues on pinterest. I'm sure it'll all be very stylish and fabulous. Can't wait to see the paint colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the idea from you. :) Hopefully I keep up with it!!

      Delete
  2. I am so excited to see what you do with the house! It looks HUGE! I love it! Are you just REALLY SURE that you want to fill in all those lovely arched nooks? Haha! I am dying to see what paint colors you choose, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL They're just lovely, huh? The two small ones don't bother me as much as the HUGE one next to the fireplace. Such an eye sore!! We just need to find a REALLY good drywall person to help us with it!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see all the changes. That is a LONG list!! I'm really happy for you guys and your new adventure! I'll check back often for updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? My dad asked if Aaron was on suicide watch from all the stuff we want to do. LOL Half of that is actually what Aaron added.

      Delete
  4. Instead of filling in the space next to the fireplace, you could customize it with some built-in bookshelfs ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! We thought about that but since we're using one of the kitchen pantries as a computer nook, we need another pantry. Well, not need, really, but want another pantry. :)

      Delete
  5. What a darling house. I am so excited for you guys. That is quite a to do list. Good luck getting it all done. I know your house will look awesome when you put all of your finishing touches on it. When you need a break from this long list, come and visit us in Hawaii. We'd LOVE it! I can't wait to watch the progress of your house on this blog. What a cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Julie! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to visit y'all in Hawaii! I'm jealous that you're moving there. I would live in a shack just to live there. :)

      Delete

the beginning...